John Vachon/Library of Congress. (May 1938)
Category Archives: Irwinville Places
Carl Mydans/Library of Congress. (June 1936)
Mydans noted that there were 23 houses like this around Irwinville which had been repaired in one way or another.
The casual visitor to Irwinville will still see houses of this vernacular style today. Many have been in the same families for generations. (Note the Chinaberry tree on the right side of the photo).
Arthur Rothstein/Library of Congress. (August 1935)
The old courthouse was decommissioned in 1910 when a new courthouse was opened in Ocilla. (Even though Ocilla was designated the county seat in 1907, Irwinville remained the defacto center of county government until the construction of the new courthouse). It served as apartments for those being resettled during the Irwinville Farms Project. It burned soon thereafter.